Building a new site or doing a website redesign for your business is a big decision that often breeds some confusion.
Should you redesign your site now or can you wait a bit longer?
Does your website need a total overhaul, or will a tweak here and there with your content and images do the trick?
This guide will help you make the right choice for your business.
Building Your Website Dream Team
You have to hire the right person for the job if you want the job done right. If you’re just looking for a pretty website, most designers (even your neighbor’s kid) can probably do a decent job. There are plenty of good-looking templates you can purchase to give you a start.
But if you’re looking for a website that is designed to attract, engage, and convert a high percentage of visitors into leads and clients, you need more than a pretty site. You need someone who has experience and skills (or a team of people with skills) in all of the areas below:
- Designer: will give you a gorgeous site you’re proud to show off.
- Developer: will make it functional and easy to update.
- SEO Expert: will optimize your site so your potential clients can find you on the search engines.
- Marketing Expert: will make sure your website hits the “hot buttons” for your target audience.
- User Interface Expert: will make it easy for visitors to navigate your website so they can easily find what they need.
- Conversion Expert: will optimize your website to entice more visitors to take the next step.
- Copywriting Expert: will write direct-response copy to get your visitors to take action.
7 Important Things to Think About as You Evaluate a Website Redesign
1. Is Your Website Outdated or Poorly Designed?
Is your website driving away potential clients and business? If it is outdated and poorly designed, it surely is, especially if it is not mobile responsive or it is hard to navigate. Website users in this day and age no longer tolerate this and will look for other options when they encounter it.
2. Have You Outgrown Your Website Platform?
Wix, GoDaddy, and Weebly DIY websites are a great first step if you’re getting started and on a budget or you need a temporary site to test the viability of an idea before investing a lot of money into a more lasting solution.
However, many business owners quickly realize that those free & low-cost website builders don’t offer the features needed for a successful marketing strategy. If you’ve determined your business concept is viable and you’ve outgrown your starter site, it is time for an upgrade to a semi-custom website or a custom website and marketing funnel.
3. Does Your Website Need a Content Cleanse?
Less is more when marketing online today. Your content should be easily skimmed, with the use of images, headlines, bullets, & graphics. Each page of your website should have one main focus and one call to action.
Look at the screenshots below of target.com and how it’s changed in 3 years! In the new site, the navigation menus have been streamlined and there is only one main call to action above the fold. If it’s been more than 3 years since your website redesign, it’s time for an upgrade.
4. Is Your Website Secure?
If it isn’t, you’re gambling with your livelihood.
More than 40,000 websites are hacked every day, and 86% of websites contain at least one security vulnerability. If your website is not being backed up and scanned daily for malware, you’re putting yourself and your visitors at risk. Your website, plugins, and themes should be updated regularly to reduce your vulnerability, and you should have an SSL on your website. (You will see a lock and https:// in the address bar of your browser if you have an SSL.)
5. Does Your Website Position You as the Premier Option?
Take a look at your website and evaluate if it still accurately represents the quality of the services you offer in your business and the audience you serve?
Businesses mature and get better over time, just like people. And if you’re wiser in your business and offering higher-level services, your website should reflect that. It’s also very common for your target audience to shift as your business evolves. Take a look at your website copy, images, packages, and products to make sure they are still a match for your business today and will continue to reflect the business you want to have in the future.
To quote someone who submitted an application for a website redesign today, “I was told my site does not look like a $95/hr personal trainer lives there.” If that’s the case for you as well, it’s time for a website redesign.
6. Do You Still Serve the Same Audience?
Just like your services mature and evolve, often as a business grows, your target audience can change. Maybe you served beginners when you were just getting started but now you serve a higher-level client. Or maybe you have found that you can get amazing results for people in a specific niche.
If your audience has shifted since your last website redesign, take a look at your site through the eyes of your target audience. Poll them if you need to! If you’re coaching 6 and 7 figure business owners but your copy and images reflect businesses trying to reach their first 6 figures, it’s time for an update!
7. Do You Still Love Your Website and Are You Proud to Promote It?
If you feel even the tiniest amount of website shame, it’s preventing you from achieving the success you deserve in your business.
One of the greatest benefits of a website redesign is the instant confidence boost it can give you! Think about going to an event dressed in something that makes you look and feel amazing, versus clothing that doesn’t fit well or that you don’t like. When you know you look good, you show up differently than when you’re self-conscious. Your website is the same way! So if you cringe a little on the inside when you give out your web address, it’s time to upgrade.
Is It Time for a Website Redesign?
Making the decision to redesign your site becomes a whole lot easier when you can zero in on the numbers. By estimating your additional revenue, you will know how long your website should take to pay for itself, above what it’s generating now.
If the numbers aren’t convincing enough, here’s a quick flowchart to help you decide if your website still fits your business or if it’s time to redesign your site.
If you’ve decided it is time for a website redesign, we’d LOVE to help!
Websites that Combine Beauty + Brains
- We build unforgettable, custom websites that position your business as the premier option in your niche.
- We make sure to strategically lay out every website and landing page to attract, engage, and convert more visitors into leads.
- Our websites include highly functional, and customized features to make your life easier & your business more profitable.
- We include SEO, optimizing your site to make it easier for potential clients to find you in the search engines.
Our websites get 2-5 times higher conversion than 90% of the websites on the internet!
Wondering What’s the Big Deal with Conversion Rates?
We also make building a new website FUN with our 3-Phase Website Design Process:
- Discovery: We start with digging into your current business and your business goals.
- Design: Then we design your branding, create your content, and build your site.
- Deploy: And then finally we automate your marketing funnel, launch your site, and provide “Peace of Mind” website maintenance, updates & security.
If You’re Ready to Build the Website of Your Dreams:
Follow our 3 Step Discovery Process Below:
1: Click here to schedule a free website strategy session.
2: On the call, we’ll create a plan to build a site that can increase your conversion rate by 2-5 times.
3: We’ll build you the website of your dreams