Do you know when the best time to publish a blog post for your business is?
The image above is a snapshot of my Client Attraction Marketing System that I take my clients through when we build their websites. (Click here for a free website cheat sheet and a video walkthrough of my C.A.M.P. system.)
Blogging falls into the third phase of the program (DOMINATE) because it is a way to generate traffic to your website. Which means, if you’re still in the Discover or Design phase of your business, focusing on blogging should not be your priority … yet. You don’t want to spend time and energy, driving traffic to a website that isn’t designed to convert that traffic into leads. Right?!
If you have an online marketing system in place – then today’s post will show you the best time to publish your blog posts according to research!
In last week’s post, I shared my blogging routine to get traffic, leads, and clients. Here’s how I came up with my routine and why I try to adhere to it consistently.
What the research says about when is the most effective time to publish a blog post:
- According to Trackmaven.com, a software company that specializes in Centralized Marketing Analytics,”Blog posts published at 3 p.m. EST receive the highest number of social shares on average.” They also say that publishing your blog posts to social on Sunday at 9pm-midnight EST is best for engagement and shares. Generally speaking, Trackmaven advises publishing when people have the most leisure time.
- Blogtyrant.com advises publishing on either Tuesday or Wednesday. This is because people enjoy a distraction from work. He also says that there is a sweet spot for the time you should publish: between 9:30 – 11:oo am EST.
- Kissmetrics.com says that most people read blogs in the mornings and most blogs get the most traffic on Monday around 11:00 am EST. They say that if you’re blogging to get backlinks, Monday and Thursday are the best days to publish at 7:00 am EST. And if you’re looking to get the most comments, 9:00 am Saturday EST is best.
- SocialFresh.com recommends you publish your blog posts from 9:00 – 10:00 am EST Thursdays if you want social shares or Mondays at 9:00 – 10:00 am EST if you want more page views.
- Want your blog posts to go viral? A huge study of BuzzSumo data with over 1oo million pieces of content revealed that more posts published on Tuesdays go viral than any other day.
So far, the studies show that Sunday, Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday, and Thursdays are the best days to publish, depending on your goal. And that anywhere between 7:00 am EST and Midnight is the best time to publish.
That makes the best time to publish a blog post about as clear as mud, doesn’t it?
So how do you know when the best time to post is?
- The best time is going to vary depending on your audience and your goal
- It doesn’t REALLY matter when you publish your post – what matters more is when you share your post.
- Post consistently on the same day at the same time. Pick a day/time that works best for you and stick to it.
Choose the right time for each channel to publish your post:
- Look at your Facebook insights to see when most of your followers are online. Promote your blog post to your Facebook audience at that time. Here’s a screenshot of my Facebook page:
- Check your Google Analytics to see when most people are on your site.
- Check with your email service to see when people tend to open your emails. ActiveCampaign shows my opens by day and time as well. You can easily see that I announce my blog posts to my email list on Wednesdays at 7 am! (It’s also the day I get the most traffic to my site according to Google Analytics – which shows the value of building an email list!) Mailchimp.com has a special feature to help pinpoint the best time to send a blog or email out called Send Time Optimization. It may help you determine the best time for your personal email list.
Summary: When the Best Time to Publish Your Blog Posts is…
- It varies depending on your audience and goals
- Determine when your best time to publish is by utilizing your social, email, and Google Analytics data.
- Post consistently at the same time every week to keep readers coming back for more.
Good luck blogging! If you have any questions or need more help with what you are working on, let me know how I can help!